About music

This is meditation in action. Pure and simple. How do we take that new-found quality of calm, clear awareness from our meditation and apply it to everyday life? It might be to improve our sense of performance, satisfaction, fulfilment, or even to reduce the feelings of discomfort for a medical condition. Whatever the reason, here’s where you can share your thoughts.

About music

by chrisheadspacez » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi forum,

since early on in my Headspace journey I have pretty much stopped playing music on the go or while doing something like working/studying/cooking. Not so much because it seems to distract me from the task I want to focus on. By meditating I have started to improve my focus even when there is noise around. But because I wanted to enjoy music to the fullest by listening to it mindfully.

When there was something particular good running, I noticed the conflict in me about which thing I should turn my awareness to, the thing I was doing or the song which also deserved my attention. So not to get into this conflict I have stopped playing to music while doing something else. This is in line with a general shift in my behaviour avoiding multitasking, trying to do just one thing at a time. Instead I have started the habit of once in a while picking up my headphones to listen to one or a couple of songs and do nothing else besides that. Something which I haven't done in years if ever. In Headspace terms I use listening to music as a mindful moment. It sounds a bit silly but the first couple times I did it, the emotional experience was so intense that I had tears in my eyes.

As a result, I listen to music much less, but when I do I get a lot more out of it than before.

I wonder, has anyone had a similar experience? How you deal with music? Am I behaving compulsive in trying to do but one thing a time? Should I just notice the above mentioned conflict and let it go?