Calm when family members are unwell

This is meditation in action. Pure and simple. How do we take that new-found quality of calm, clear awareness from our meditation and apply it to everyday life? It might be to improve our sense of performance, satisfaction, fulfilment, or even to reduce the feelings of discomfort for a medical condition. Whatever the reason, here’s where you can share your thoughts.

Calm when family members are unwell

by drmak1946 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:43 pm

I was cruising along. I had done 35 sessions and could see how it was helping me. Then, yesterday hit. My husband was in Pittsburgh and I was in Bend OR. He sent me a text message saying he was in urgent care because he thought he was having a retinal tear. We kept texting while he was referred to a higher level ER and a resident physician came to see him. I was getting muscle spasms in my neck and back and was trying to figure how I would apply mindfulness to this situation. Do I do the melt down session, do I do my regular session?? I was doing some very deep breathing without the structure of a mindfulness session. I was otherwise too worried to do anything. In another hour, the ophthalmic resident physician had seen him; no retinal tear, just some very large funny shaped floaters. But I am still wondering; how could I have used mindfulness meditation to help me handle a loved one's health crisis.