Expanding Pinprick of Light Visualization

As an idea, meditation is incredibly simple, but in practice it can be rather more challenging. Obstacles are common and it’s important that we feel comfortable and confident with that, knowing that others are experiencing just the same thing. So, if you have a question or a reflection about the exercise itself or any element of practice, this is the place to go.

Expanding Pinprick of Light Visualization

by happyhugs » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi Everyone!
I've done 3 different types of visualizations now. I have no problem with the visualization of the body filling up with sunlight like a vase or placing my focus on the different chakra points. Just as Andy says these feel like they're happening on their own and they're accompanied by a very physical sensation.

The visualization with the pinprick of sunlight expanding from the chest is a different story. The problem I have is with switching perspectives as the ball of light expands. I'll try to explain.

After the visualization has begun and the ball has expanded for a bit my perspective might look like this:

At this point the visualization is going well. There's a small physical sensation accompanied by it and I feel connected to it. It still doesn't seem like it's happening on its own though. After the ball gets bigger than the room around me I have to switch to 3rd person to make it any larger:

Sometimes I can transition smoothly and I still feel connected to the ball of light but the sensation dulls at this point. As the ball gets larger still I have to zoom out further:

And I feel even more disconnected from the visualization. Towards the end of it as I zoom out more:

The physical sensation is gone and it's more like I'm just imagining something that isn't connected to me and isn't part of the space around me.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help,
-Mark