Emotions

The way we approach our meditation will reflect the way we approach life. There are so many misconceptions about what meditation is, or isn’t, and what we’re supposed to be doing, or not doing, whilst sitting with our eyes closed. So this is the place to discuss our view, our attitude and motivations - how and why we’re getting some Headspace.

Emotions

by JoeF » Fri May 22, 2015 9:32 pm

So I've been using Headspace for quite some time now, and I'm a lot happier for it. One of the key points (for me) about meditation is to with how we tackle our emotions. Meditation teaches us how to be aware of and accept how we currently feel, rather than chasing after some other feeling (usually happiness).
I think I understand these ideas pretty well, and try to live my life according to this philosophy - as much as posible I try to avoid forcing myself to feel different to how I do feel, and like this I tend to be happier on average most of the time. There is, however, one type of situation I can think of where I'm not sure that these teachings make sense, and I'd like some advice as to what I should do.

I'll explain by way of an example. Let's say there's a concert this evening that I really want to go to. I bought the tickets two months ago, and I've wanted to see this band for years. I've been looking forward to it for a very long time, and it starts in twenty minutes. However just before I get there, I find myself in a really bad mood.
What should I do?

Meditation tells me that I shouldn't force myself to feel different to how I'm feeling right now. Normally I'd be quite content to sit for ten minutes, an hour, two hours, however long it takes to get through the sad feelings until I feel happier again. But this time I don't want to do that; the gig starts in twenty minutes and it's only going to happen once.

So does anyone have any idea what I should do in this situation? I don't want to force myself to feel happy, yet if I feel sad now it's going to ruin what I had planned.
Thanks a lot for any advice