The paradox of meditation

The way we approach our meditation will reflect the way we approach life. There are so many misconceptions about what meditation is, or isn’t, and what we’re supposed to be doing, or not doing, whilst sitting with our eyes closed. So this is the place to discuss our view, our attitude and motivations - how and why we’re getting some Headspace.

The paradox of meditation

by Chris Medi » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi everybody,

This question is about goal orientation vs. non-striving in meditation.

I started meditating a couple of months ago and since then I have always been interested in learning more about meditation. However, the act of meditation still appears to be somewhat paradoxical to me and I still could not get my head around this question.

Meditation has become increasingly popular in the western world over the past years as the various health benefits of meditation have become noticed more broadly. For example, I startet meditating to achieve more calm and clarity in my life. However, meditation teachers always emphasize that one should not strive for a specific outcome of meditation. Here is the paradox in my opinion. We start meditating in order to get some kind of benefit but at the same time meditation is all about acceptance, non-striving and non-judging.

Can anyone resolve this paradox for me?

Best wishes,
Chris
Last edited by Chris Medi on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Next