Chronic Pain

Chronic Pain

by Shannon@HeadspaceHQ » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Question:

I am looking for tools to help me cope with chronic pain that are not prescription drugs. Can you recommend a Headspace V2 series or is there one in the works that can support me?

Answer:

Sorry to hear you’re having a tough time with chronic pain. And whilst prescription drugs most definitely have their place, it’s great that you are looking for alternatives before going down that route (assuming it is with the consent of your doctor of course).

Chronic pain was actually one of the very first things studied when scientists began looking at the impact of mindfulness a few decades back. In fact it was the positive results of those early studies that encouraged them to start looking at mindfulness as an intervention for other health issues. It is now used in many hospitals and clinics around the world.

Here at Headspace, we are intimately involved in some of the most current research and hope to be able to publish the results of those studies in the near future. In the meantime we are putting together a specific pack to help deal with chronic pain. We’ll release this as soon as we can into the current platform/app.

Until then though, it’s worth noting that although having a pack dedicated to this issue can help give additional context and understanding, it is the technique itself which makes the difference. In fact most of the studies have focused on the Foundation Pack.

However, if you are now beyond that, then I would look to focus on two packs in particular. I would begin with the 30 day stress pack and then move on to the 10 day acceptance pack. I would then begin Headspace Pro and try applying those new ideas to a less structured meditation. It would be great to hear how you get on.