I need help visualising. What can you suggest?

I need help visualising. What can you suggest?

by Headspace_HQ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Andy's answer:

Visualisation requires a very particular balance of focus and relaxation. More often than not, it is too much focus, but in this case, it's more likely to be too much relaxation. Rather than trying to hold the image for a long period of time, aim to hold it just for 10 seconds at a time. If you manage longer that's fine. And then repeat - multiple times. you'll be surprised at how quickly this builds up greater stability.

Rather than thinking about visualizing things, I'd also suggest you think about it as imagining or remembering things.

If you're having difficulty visualize a face for example, don't try to visualize your child's face, but instead simply remember the last time you saw them. Maybe it was walking out of school. Ok, so don't try and visualize the face, or even imagine it, simply notice the very general image which occurs in the mind when you remember that scenario.

Don't worry if it is a little fuzzy or very brief, that's fine. Do you see your children in the image, even if it's just very abstract, perhaps just the colours of their clothes and a general outline? If you do, then that quality is the same as visualization. It is no different. And as you do the exercises, the image will become sharper over time and the period it stays in the mind will increase in duration. This is what it means to train the mind in visualization. Again, don't aim for perfection in the image, it more about resonating with the feeling or the idea behind the visualisation.