Tearfulness during meditation

Tearfulness during meditation

by Headspace » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:46 pm

Question

How do I deal with the urge to cry during the exercise, or do I look for some other feeling which is more like appreciation?

Andy's Answer

I wish you could see how many people cry at that exact same point in the exercise/series.
It has nothing to do with any particular sadness in life - at least not usually anyway. It has more to do with the realisation - at some level - that we have missed so much of life, perhaps failed to appreciate the things we care about and the result, is a release of emotion.
It is often described as a tenderness, a very sort and gentle release, which leaves us back in the moment afterwards. There is even something to appreciate in this feeling if we can be present enough.
I know I say this a lot, but it really is nothing to worry about at all and funnily enough is actually a pretty good sign that the process is happening exactly as it should.
In short, stay with it, no matter what comes up. If tears flow, let them flow. If a smile comes to your face, allow it to come to your face. One thing is for sure, it will change from one day to the next over time.