Tension in the mind and body

Tension in the mind and body

by Headspace_HQ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Andy's answer:

Once we've identified key points of tension in the body, we instinctively go back to that point to remind ourselves of the feeling and reinforce our identity. I'm not sure if you've seen my TED talk, but there's a bit in it about this very thing.

Anyway, it's quite natural for the mind to get a bit stuck like this. But rather than fight with what it is attracted to, it's much better to find a way to work with it. So, if the mind keeps getting drawn to the tight shoulders, stay with that feeling. That does not mean think about the tightness. It means be curious about the tightness (there's much more about this in Take20), enquire how it feels, watch the sensation etc. There is nothing to do but watch and learn and when we do that, the mind naturally lets go, with the body quickly following suit.

This is very different from the usual feedback loop of recognising the tension, getting stressed about the fact we're tense, and so then experiencing more tension! So by using the sensations in the body as objects of focus we begin to understand what that sensation is, how it relates to the mind and how it arises and dissolves in the body. As I say, Take20 is the best place to really understand this point.