Inner chat and letting go

Inner chat and letting go

by Headspace » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:53 pm

Question

While it' s easy to create headspace during my meditation sessions, I realize my resistance to to switch my attention from the inner dialog. As if, doing this, I will miss important topics and related decision to be taken.
How to convince myself that unwinding from that inner -continuous -noise will help me, not loose me?
Thank you
B

Andy's Answer

That's an interesting question, on many levels.

On a superficial level (and that is not meant in the derogatory sense that the word is often used these days), I think we can all agree that the tendency to allow the mind to roam and be involved in continuous chit chat is, ultimately, quite stressful and not terribly helpful. So, put very simply, we have a choice, either to train the mind to behave in a different way or allow it to continue in the same way. For most people the choice would be quite straight forward.

However, the next factor to consider is what are the repercussions of this training. For some reason it is often assumed that if we let go of the mind for even a minute or two, we might lose sight of the things which are important to us forever. But the reality is very different. In fact I would say that without all the unnecessary inner dialogue we are far more like to a) be aware of the important things b) have clarity in acting upon after and c) have a sense of calm that allows us to approach things in an effortless manner.

Interestingly, there is no evidence to suggest that we lose sight of important responsibilities or that we become more forgetful when we are learning meditation. On the contrary, both are shown to improve or increase.

But that brings us to the next level, which is arguably a little more existential. We like to feel in control of life. We also like to have a sense of security. This is why we hold on to things - including our thought patterns. Whilst this tendency may in the short term bring us some kind of temporary relief and strengthen our sense of self, it is often rather fragile. But meditation asks us to let go of these things, to sit back into the insecurity of life, to let go of control and to give up any fixed ideas about who we are. Instead, simply to rest in the nature of awareness itself. When we do this, losing oneself becomes less frightening and more inviting. It allows us to experience life in a very different way, moment after moment, without judgement, with stable awareness and a compassionate mind.

Warm wishes, Andy