Should I start at the beginning?

Should I start at the beginning?

by Headspace » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:49 pm

When I did Take 15 (Level 2) last week I felt like it was harder to get back into it as it had been a couple of months since I'd done the last Take 15. Would it better to go back to Take 10 before proceeding?

Also, I wasn't sure if I was having a bad day but after feeling good in the morning, in the afternoon I felt a sudden change in my emotions, I felt more confused, swinging from being angry to sad and wasn't sure if this was a sudden realisation of how I felt towards people and myself after doing the meditation and if this was because of the meditation,

Andy's Answer

Hi James,

In answer to your first question, yeah, I'd probably go back and start from the beginning of Take10 and then carry straight on with Take15 afterwards. If you've been doing Take10 for a whole year, then inevitably it will feel a bit strange at first to add 5 minutes more, but you'll get used to it quite quickly I'm sure.

As for the second part of your question, I would avoid making too strong a connection between the meditation and experiencing a sudden bad mood. There are many people who don't meditate who will tell you they have experienced just the same thing. It is of course quite possible that the emotions appeared magnified in some way, because of your greater awareness. It is also possible that you were more aware of the beginning and end of both so-called positive and negative emotions, as you have become more aware of the transitory nature of all things.

Overall though, I would say you are far more likely to experience confusion and sudden mood swings on the days that you don't meditate, rather than on the days that you do.

Warm wishes, Andy