Free yourself from a busy mind

Here’s an opportunity to share your own Headspace Journey with the rest of the community. Maybe it’s changed your own life or maybe it’s changed the lives of those around you. We’d love to hear about your own stories, the trials and tribulations of learning meditation and your experiences of applying that to everyday life. Let us know your thoughts.

Free yourself from a busy mind

by meditator-D789IR » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:58 pm

With the fast-paced nature of life these days, it’s very easy to get overwhelmed with thoughts. It seems like no matter what we are doing, our minds are somewhere else. Maybe instead of being focused on our current work project, we are thinking about what we need at the grocery store. Or instead of bring present while walking down the street, we are thinking about items on our to-do list that have yet to be checked off.

It’s like being on the Internet with 50 tabs open at once.

So, what would it be like to be free from the madness in our minds? What if we were able to let go of all of these thoughts and feelings running around inside our heads and be present in life as it is right now?

I’m here to let you know that it is 100% possible to be free from it all. With a little bit of practice, you can actually train your mind to be present with what’s in front of you instead of running off in one hundred different directions at once.

As I mentioned in my very first post, I have maintained a mindfulness meditation practice for about one year now, and while that by no means makes me an expert on the subject, I believe I’ve had enough experience to tell you that it absolutely works. I highly recommend starting with the Headspace app. The creator of Headspace, Andy Puddicombe, has found a way to make meditation fit into the modern world. All you need is 10 minutes and a quiet space, and you will be on your way to a quiet mind.

The actual act of sitting down and meditating for 10 minutes is great and will set the foundation for your practice, but it is also extremely important to incorporate mindfulness into everyday life. One of my favorite examples of this is the morning commute. It’s something that a lot of us experience everyday, and it has the reputation for being a generally dull or frustrating activity. Here is how you can incorporate mindfulness into your daily commute:

Before starting your car and driving off, just take 2-3 deep breaths, in through the nose and out through the mouth. Notice how your body physically feels in the seat beneath you. Feel the weight of the body and the contact between you and the seat and your hands on the wheel. Notice any sounds around you, such as the engine starting up, the air conditioning or heat blowing through the vents, other cars driving by, etc. As you drive along, thoughts will begin popping up in the mind. The idea is not to try and stop the thoughts or ignore them. Instead, you see the thought and say, “Hey, there’s a thought.” And watch it pass by. Then you gently bring your attention back to driving. The more times you bring your focus back to the body, the more you will start to naturally see the thoughts as nothing more than thoughts, and the more peace and quiet you will experience in the mind.

This type of exercise can be applied to any activity, and it can really set the tone for your day.

Why not let today be the day you free yourself from your busy mind?