Andy's Headspace - Learning to understand emotions Part 2
Feel groggy first thing in the morning? No time for Take10? No matter...today's blog will show you how to set yourself up for the day in half the time. Think of it as a Headspace Mini Meditation for the day. Because no matter what job you do, you can be sure that you’ll do it better if you are feeling focused, calm, clear and energized. This is time seriously well spent!
1. Sit down in a chair, with your back upright but comfortably relaxed. Uncross your arms and legs and rest your hands in your lap.
2. Take 5 deep breaths, in through the nose and out through the mouth. Do this with the eyes open, not starring at any one particular thing but with a nice gentle gaze which takes in all the space around you.
3. After the first 5 breaths, allow the breath to return to it’s natural rhythm, in and out through the nose, and maintain that very soft gaze with the eyes.
4. Forget about trying to stop any thoughts and feelings. Instead, just allow them to come and go as you follow the physical sensation of the breath rising and falling in the body.
5. After you’ve done this for about 2 minutes, imagine the morning sunshine coming in through the window and warming you up. It’s as if the brightness clears away any confusion in the mind and leaves you feeling clear for the day ahead. Sit there and enjoy it for a minute or two before gently leaning back and having a stretch to finish.